The very first word of the Holy Quran is “ IQRA” which means “READ”. It is the first and the foremost command of Islam, that every man should read. When we are born, our mind, heart and soul are nothing else but just a clean slate, a slate that is eager to be inked by the surroundings and parents. The way that slate is inked in childhood leaves indelible impressions on us forevermore.
Education is the basic need and necessity of every human being. We can know and learn a few things from our surroundings but to be able to differentiate between the merits and demerits of some thing and to understand the proper etiquette education is necessary.
We live in a country that is in the process of developing and is striving hard for its success, although attention is being paid to education sector but still there is always space for betterment. We need to up our game in education because only educated minds can man-oeuvre the country in the right direction. To bring out our A-GAME in education Pakistan can take inspiration from some other countries like Finland, having one of the best education systems in the world!
A number of things can be done to bring betterment and make education easy as it is not a privilege but right of everybody.
* Primary and Secondary education are the most important because they teach children the basics, only a tree that is deep rooted in the soil can stand firm and won’t let any storm dishevel it, so similarly the a lot of focus and attention should be given to the primary education, as it the stage where seeds are sown.
* Another reason for so many young lives missing out on school is the economic constraint due to which the children have to quit school and choose to work, so steps towards providing a monthly stipend to these kids can be helpful.
* There are still many areas in Pakistan where education for girls is frowned upon so, public awareness programs and seminars should be commenced.
* Education shall be made free and the its equal access should be a constitutional right of every child as it can work wonders and encourage a lot of people to send their kids to school.
* For high education the children should be made to choose between the general education which leads to university or vocational education that leads to apprenticeships.
* Teachers should be encouraged to learn as they earn, to take college qualifications and get a bachelors degree, also annual professional development workshops and in-service training should be taken by them.
* A uniform curriculum should be introduced in the education sector so the rural and urban kids can give each other a healthy competition in the job market.
* The funds and budgets for education should be increased generously by the government and a proper check and balance should be ensured.
* Higher level or university teaching staff should be highly a qualified and very well read with a lot of professional experience and expertise.
The mind once enlightened cannot again become dark- Thomas Paine.
This Article is written by Urooba Akhtar